Have you ever wondered why some models have cheekbones that look so firm and attractive? The answer is simple – they’ve added face exercises for cheekbones to their daily fitness regimen.
Not only are these exercises effective, but they’re also easy to do at home without any equipment.
In this blog post, we’ll go over 9 face exercises that you can do to achieve the high, firm, and well-toned cheekbones you’ve always wanted.
Face Exercises for Cheek Bones – How Do They Work?
The face is one of the most critical parts of the body, and it deserves the same attention as the rest of our muscles. That’s where face exercises for cheekbones jump into the equation.
By targeting two of the most important muscles in your face – the zygomaticus major and the zygomaticus minor – these exercises improve facial symmetry and cheekbone tone.
When these two muscles get bulkier, they tighten the skin on the cheeks, giving an appearance of higher and firmer cheekbones.
But how do you know if facial exercises even work these two muscles? What if it’s just a gimmick by fitness gurus to bank more greenbacks?
Well, if done right, face exercises for cheekbones do work! Allow me to use scientific data to help you understand better.
According to a study conducted by Murad Alam, the professor and vice chair of dermatology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, facial exercises show some promise and potential for improvement in the upper and lower cheeks.
And this is not just based on some data technicalities, which may make you think that it would’ve only been a small percentage of improvement.
The participants were highly satisfied after noting drastic improvement in 18 of the 20 facial features.
Besides giving you high cheekbones, face exercises can help stimulate circulation and reduce wrinkles and saggy skin. Plus, they help to improve facial expressions and give you a more youthful appearance.
9 Powerful Face Exercises To Lift That Saggy Cheekbone Skin:
If you’re looking to tighten your face and give your cheekbones definition, then you need to build the zygomaticus major and the zygomaticus minor muscles!
These 9 effective, natural, and risk-free face exercises will help you do just that, making them an invaluable tool for beautiful, youthful-looking cheeks. So let’s dive right in:
1. Smiley Fish
Have you ever seen what a fish’s face looks like? Make your face like that and smile.
- Suck your cheeks inward while tightly pressing your lips together.
- Now keep holding that fish face while you try to smile
- Stay in this position for 10 seconds
Reps: 3-4 times
2. Half Puffy Cheek
What does your face look like when you’re filling a balloon? Make it like that but only at the half side.
- Take a deep inhale and fill the air in your mouth
- Push all of that air to one side of the cheek, so the other lays flat on your jaw
- Switch sides from right cheek to left and vice versa without exhaling
- Do this until you run out of breath, and then exhale
Reps: As many times as you like
3. Face of Joy
If you’ve seen Agent Smith smile in the Matrix, you’ll know exactly how to do this one.
- Open your mouth and smile as wide as possible, from ear to ear
- Make sure your eyes are wide open during this time
- Stay in this position for 10 seconds
Reps: 10 times
4. Pout & Smile
Pouting was once used to be a trend among Instagram models, so you must know how it’s done.
- Turn your lips into a small ‘O’ and pronounce the ‘O’ sound exaggeratingly utilizing your entire facial structure.
- Next, pronounce ‘X’ using your complete facial structure, but instead of staying in a pout, you need to smile widely this time while pronouncing ‘X.’
- Alternate between both positions
Reps: 10 times each
5. Left-Right Balloon Face
This one is sort of a combo of ‘Smiley Fish’ and ‘Half Puffy Face’ exercises.
- Make a fish-like face by pursing your lips and sucking your cheeks in
- Keep tight pressure on your lips, so they stay pursed while filling the air in your mouth like you do when you blow a balloon
- Now just like the Half Puffy Face exercise, move the air in your mouth from left to right and then vice versa
- Hold the air on each side for five seconds
Reps: 10 times
6. Cheek Lift
Time to call in the big guns and involve your hands.
- Feel the area on your face where the crease forms when you smile, close to both sides of your nostrils
- Put your fingertips right at that spot on both sides and push your cheeks up without breaking your smile
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds
Reps: As many times as you like
7. Chew & Hum
Who knew humming could help you tone your cheekbones? Well, now you know!
- Gently close your lips together and inhale through your nose
- Now move your jaw up and down like you’re chewing
- As you’re chewing, start humming out of your nose while slightly vibrating your lips
Reps: 4 times
8. Open Jaw Lift
Let’s add some good ol’ jaw motion to the mix.
- Wide open your mouth and tilt your head back to look at the ceiling
- Once the head is all the way tilted back, close your mouth
- Now slowly bring your head back to the initial position
Reps: 10-15 times
9. Closed Jaw Lift:
The second part of the above exercise but with your jaw closed this time.
- Keep your mouth closed and tilt your head back to look at the ceiling
- Now keep your lips pressed but also move them up as far as you can – you should feel the jaw muscles near your ear moving a little
- Stay in this position for 1 second
Reps: 10-15 Times
What’s The Best Time for Doing These Face Exercises, And How Long?
Hands down, morning time is the best possible time to work those facial muscles while your body is calm, relaxed, and energized. Plus, doing this early in the morning will leave your face fresh and glowing throughout the day.
As for how long, experts suggest making a routine of giving at least 30 minutes of your time to facial exercises.
And if you’re wondering how long before you start noticing improvements, then according to the study conducted by Dr. Murad Alam (MD), the participants started noticing visible differences after 20 weeks of consistent exercise routine.
Remember, you need to be consistent and motivated to stick to this regimen if you want to see and sustain good results.
But…You Need More Than Just Face Exercises for Cheekbones:
You must remember that facial exercises aren’t a fast fix to your cheekbone aesthetics. You need to do some other complimentary things to ensure you can develop and sustain beautiful cheekbones for years to come. Some of the suggestions include the following:
- Reduce salt consumption as it retains fluid in your cheeks, making them appear puffy
- Drink lots of water, so the liquid stored in your cheeks is flushed out
- Eat right and cut down on fast food – it deposits fat in your entire body, including the face
- Do cardio workouts to lose excess fat in your facial area so your cheekbones and jawline can be more visible
How do Models Get Hollow Cheeks?
Models often have thin skin and higher cheekbones due to their genetics. Plus, they do regular cardio to reduce fat, which makes their cheekbones easily visible.
They also follow facial exercises, which help create more volume in the cheeks by tightening the facial muscles.
Sometimes, the cheekbones on a model’s face are filled with collagen through non-invasive or invasive surgical processes.
Moreover, they also do makeup that gives the illusion of slimmer cheeks and high cheekbones.
How Can I Ensure I’m Doing the Right Exercise for My Face?
We’ll apply the general exercise rules to tell if your workout is working or not. It should be working if:
- You feel better than the time you first started (no more pressure or unbearable pains)
- Exercising now feels easier than before
- Or, you can now push harder (add more exercises or increase reps)
- Finally, you are now seeing the results you wanted in the mirror (even if they’re not fully there yet)
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it okay to perform these face exercises for cheekbones multiple times per day?
We recommend performing face exercises for cheekbones once a day, as this is the safest way of achieving the desired results. You can do these exercises twice daily, but only if you are comfortable doing so. Remember to avoid overstressing your facial muscles, as this could lead to injury.
Can facial exercises change face shape?
Yes, they can help change your facial shape by toning the muscles around your cheeks, jawline, and chin. But it is a long-term process that requires commitment.
How long do face exercises take to work?
If you consistently stick to daily exercise, most face exercises take about 20 weeks to start showing results. However, the longer you exercise, the better your results will be.
Do Face Exercises for Cheekbones Change Bone Stricture?
Unfortunately, cheekbone exercises do not change bone structure. Unless you have surgery for bone shaping, exercises, diets, medications, or anything else won’t change your bone shape. It’s genetically made this way.
Whew, that was a lot of stuff we just learned together. Now you need to start implementing everything, be consistent, and see those cheekbones become firm and toned. Best of luck!